Rwanda, famous for its gorilla trekking, has updated its pretty stringent Covid-19 travel requirements as below… with so many hoops to jump through I don’t see many travelers visiting in the near term…
As part of Government measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the following is mandatory upon entry into Rwanda as of 1 August 2020:
• All travelers arriving in Rwanda must be tested negative for COVID-19 within 72 hours of departure (meaning that you get tested and get results no more than 3 days before your
first flight), complete the passenger locator form, and upload the COVID-19 test certificate. Please see passenger locator form link on www.rbc.gov.rw.
• All travelers arriving in Rwanda will be screened upon entry and be given a second test to confirm the negative results of first test done prior to arrival.
• All travelers are required to complete 24 hours in a designated transit hotel while awaiting the results of the second test.
• The Government of Rwanda has negotiated special rates at the designated hotels for the waiting period. Should a guest wish to remain in the hotel after receiving negative test
results, they are welcome to extend their stay at the applicable hotel’s rates.
• The negotiated hotel rate is on full board basis (inclusive of three meals) and if a guest takes less than the three meals, no refund will be provided. Any extras will be paid separately upon
• The meals are inclusive of water or soft drinks. Any extras will be paid for separately on order.
Designated transit Hotels:
KIGALI MARRIOTT HOTEL
RADISSON BLU HOTEL
KIGALI SERENA HOTEL
HOTEL DES MILLES COLLINES
GRAND LEGACY HOTEL
GORILLAS GOLF HOTEL
PARK INN BY RADISSON
UBUMWE GRANDE HOTEL
HOTEL VILLA PORTOFINO
THE NEST KIGALI
QUIET HAVEN HOTEL
GREAT SEASON HOTEL
THE MIRROR HOTEL
Once at the hotel, the following shall be the process:
• Step 1: You will be tested for COVID-19 and there will be a medical team to assist whenever needed. A medical service fee of 10USD will be charged at the hotel as well as a 50 USD
charge for COVID-19 testing per test.
• Step 2: Wait for the test results to be received by SMS or email.
• Step 3: If your test result is negative, you will be invited to checkout or extend your stay in the same hotel at applicable hotel’s rates
• Step 4: If your test result is positive, you will be taken to a medical facility for specialized care at your own cost. We encourage passengers to have international travel insurance.
Once again, we thank you for your patience and cooperation and wish you a memorable stay in Rwanda.