Tswalu is more than a safari destination – owned by the Oppenheimer’s it is South Africa’s largest Game Reserve and heavily involved in conservation efforts – many of which guests can participate in!
The word ‘Tswalu’ means ‘a new beginning’ and Tswalu Kalahari is driven by two ambitions: to create an inspirational experience for its guests and a conservation vision, to restore the Kalahari to itself. This entails the management of the entire ecological system, including the vegetation and the available water resources to restore vital ecological processes which have disappeared
in parts of the Kalahari, thereby maximizing the diversity of life found in the region. These two goals sit in perfect equilibrium with each guest contributing directly to the sustainability of the reserve in a true model of eco-tourism.
Each guest’s visit contributes directly to the sustainability of African conservation and social development efforts. These include the restoration of the natural environment to a pristine condition, re-establishment and protection of biological diversity, maintenance of the natural ecological processes of the Kalahari, anti poaching, numerous on-site research projects, the provision of health-care services, a pre-school and adult-learning facilities.
The Tswalu experience offers guests the platform to participate in one of the biggest conservation projects in South Africa. Wildlife on the reserve includes huge black-maned Kalahari lions, cheetahs, great wild dog sightings, habituated meerkats, black and white rhinos, buffaloes, zebras, giraffes and herds of endangered sable and roan antelopes.
The fully inclusive rates for your complete Tswalu experience includes:
• Private game viewing vehicle with a dedicated guide and tracker for all bookings
• Walking safaris
• Nature walks, including traditional plant use interpretation
• Habituated meerkats
• Horse riding and bird watching
• Some of the oldest bushman rock engravings in Africa
• A visit to the community clinic and pre-school
• The Tswalu Foundation research projects
• Involvement in all wildlife project work currently on the property
• All meals including a variety of dining experiences from boma dinners to dune picnics
• All beverages and full selection from our award-winning wine-list
• In-suite tea and coffee making facilities
• In-suite private bar and gourmet pantry
• Laundry and valet services
• Wireless internet access and National telephone calls
• Children’s Junior Ranger programme and baby-sitting
Tswalu offers a number of specials including free nights! Have a look at our Specials page for further details.
Ultimate Africa President
“I first visited Africa in the late 1980s. I came face to face with a wild elephant, and fell in love with being on safari! I made it my goal to create an African travel company that was all about authentic wildlife experiences. Many years later we are one of the top African travel companies in the Americas – known for arranging custom safaris to East and Southern Africa; personal trips, no cookie cutter stuff.”